I got 99 problems but Hair Loss ain't one, Or is it ?
One of the most common fears for for women is Hair Loss or noticeably losing your hair. Women on average lose around anywhere between 50/80 - 100 strands a day and this can be due to a multitude of factors, so let's dig a little bit deeper and see what exactly causes Hair Loss, Hair Loss In Women, Treatments and Hair Loss Prevention and possible D.I.Y Treatments. So what exactly is Hair Loss and what causes someone to lose hair ?
What causes Hair Loss ?
There is no specific reason or contributing factor that causes Hair Loss but more a number of multiple contributing factors for both men and women when it comes to Hair Loss. Some of these factors are or may be Hormonal Imbalance, Stress, Iron deficiency / anaemia, Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism, A vitamin B12 deficiency just to name a few.
Hair on average goes through 3 cycles:
The Anagen Phase ( Also known as the growing phase) - This Phase can last from 2-8 years, this Phase refers to 85%- 90% of Hair on your head.
The Catagen phase ( Also known as the transition phase) - This is the time that hair follicles shrink and take about two-three weeks to see a change.
The Telogen Phase ( Also Known as the Resting Phase) - This is where the hair falls out essentially around every 2-4 months.
How common is Hair Loss in women ?
Many people think that Hair Loss only effects and is more common in men. However it is estimated that more than 50% of women will notice a substantial and noticeable amount of Hair Loss. The most common and significant Hair Loss in women is Female - Patterned baldness (Hair Loss), this affects a minimum of 30 million women in the US alone.
Who is affected by Hair Loss in women ?
Any age can be affected by Hair Loss but it is more common for these types and groups to be affected.
- Women Older Than 40
- Women who have just had babies
- Women going through chemo or on other medications
- Women who wear very tight hairstyles constantly that pull on their hair like tight ponytails or braids.
What causes Hair Loss in women ?
Different things can cause hair loss in women which can either be genetic or reactive such as ;
- Tight hairstyles
- Extreme shock and stress to the body
- Toxic substances, medication, chemo therapy and radiation
- Or just losing hair cause your mother or father lost their hair
How to prevent Hair Loss ?
Hair loss is generally an indicator of our overall health, so in order to prevent hair loss it can be as simple as having a well balanced, nutritious diet, healthy lifestyle, reduced stress, plenty of sleep and water.
How is female Hair Loss treated ?
Hair loss can be treated in many ways but on of the most effective ways is by taking a medication, vitamin or supplement such as Minoxidil. Which works by prolonging the growth phase of the hair this provides more time for hair to grow out to its full destiny. However one must be very patient and not lose hope as results from the said medication can take up to 3-4 months before officially seeing a result and the earlier the product is started the better the treatment result works.
So now that we have discovered what causes Hair Loss especially in women and that is also quite common in women what can we do to fix it ?
- Change your diet
- Be sure to have a balanced healthy lifestyle
- Take Vitamin B12 or a Hair, Skin and Nails Supplement
- Try to stay cool, calm and collected. Don't freak out if you see tiny parts of hair falling out this is natural for the life cycle of hair and freaking out causes stress on the body which therefore results in hair loss.
- Be sure to get smart with styling, don't use anything that will pull your hair too tight over and over causing it to break off and fall out.
- When using treatments and just generally taking care of your hair be sure to use products that have no chemicals in them as this can be very harmful for your hair and scalp.
- Use hair products that are specifically targeted for hair growth.
- When looking after, drying and styling your hair be sure to stay away from heat or burning tools and if you must use those tools be sure to use a heat protection spray on your hair.
So what if I don't want to take or can't afford a medication or salon treatments, are there any D.I.Y treatments I can try?
The answer to this is YES ! There are many step by step D.I.Y treatments to prevent hair loss and we are going to name a few.
- A scalp massage
- Aloe Vera
- Coconut Oil
- Mustard oil
- Essential oils specifically targeted for hair growth
- Scalp exfoliation
- Our very own Kiki Hydrate range is specially formulated to help strengthen the hair follicle and repair damage.
And if none of these D.I.Y tips, tricks or preventions work you can always head over to the Kiki Hair Extensions site or go into salon and get lushes locks in the form of a gorgeous up do ponytail or just general hair extensions to give you the full volume effect.